Sunday, March 9, 2008

another college feast.

I bought my first package of Swedish meatballs (kötbullar) today. Turns out that, except for special occasion, most Swedes buy this popular food in the refridgerator section. They microwave hot in about 45 seconds. They also heat well on the stove. Tonight I had them with chopped dalakorv (a large, cheap, common sausage. It's ok). And, of course, ketchup. My swedish roommates go through more ketchup than anyone I've seen. Last night one of them ate tortellinni...douced in ketchup.



A quick note: for those who don't know, ketchup and catsup are both legit spellings. The sauce originated in China, where it was used with fish. Try it sometime (not just on fish sticks. real fish too). Or try Heinz Chili Sauce. It's ketchup-like with added zestiness. Worth a try.

Also: I bought soy sauce. I got a really dark one. For some reason I have an uncontrollable craving to eat it with fried chicken.

3 comments:

Coaster said...

Try tomato sauce on eggs at breakfast - yum! I used to turn my nose up when my dad used to have fried eggs like that and now years and years later I do it!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

Hi Mike!
Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I should try to leave the rice in the ice cream like you suggested.
So in Sweden huh? Enjoy yourself and keep on cooking!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could get refrigerated Swedish meatballs. They're only available in frozen form here in the Bay Area.