Sunday, August 26, 2007

chocolate fudge cheesecake ice cream

It's been a while since my last post. On the 17th I moved out of my apartment, forcing me to pack my pantry and forgo a week long exercise in nomadic living. This also involved my parents taking my ice cream machine for a week to lure me home for a few days of visiting and laboring.

My mother's request: Chocolate cheesecake. And, due to her high chocolate demands, the addition for bittersweet fudge became apparent, indeed: naturally delicious.



CHOCOLATE FUDGE CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM (for 1.5 quarts)
:: 4 egg yolks
:: 8oz cream cheese
:: 1.5 cups brown sugar
:: half-a-lemon's juice
:: salt
:: 2 cups milk
:: 1 cup chocolate
:: 1 cup cream

- Mix egg yolks, cream cheese, brown sugar,lemon juice, salt
- Mix chocolate (either cocoa or bittersweet chips, whichever your mother forces you to add more of) with milk and scald mixture.
- Slowly whisk in milk to egg mixture and return to heat.
- Mature custard and take off heat.
- Add 1 cup cream and cool.
- Add vanilla (or possibly other flavors: maybe raspberry, peanut butter, caramel, tastiness, etc.)and use ice cream machine.
- Layer finished ice cream with fudge (recipe below) before ripening in freezer.

REALLY QUICK EXPERIMENTAL FUDGE #4
- Melt 1/2 cup semi-sweet (or bittersweet) over a double boiler or saucepan on low heat.
- Add a little oil, salt, cream (sweetened condensed milk would work), vanilla (toward end)

"This is one of the best ice creams I've ever had"-mom
"I don't like cheesecake too much, and this is an accurate rendition"-dad
"Lots of chocolate. Very rich"-everyone

Needless to say, it was a success. I've pretty much nailed down a good cheesecake base now. I've done the chocolate and pumpkin, and will probably try something a little more subtle next time it's used. Maybe raspberry with chocolate chunks.

A side note: inquire your local cheese monger regarding Humboldt Fog. A goat-lover's dream. Creamy, tangy, smooth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike, what have you got in your treasure chest that will result in a yummy chocolate chunk, whole cashew ice cream? The husband won't shut up about it since he dreamt it the other night. TIA!

Stacerella
chickbandita.com

s.j.simon said...

lol. did you know that chocolate was banned in switzerland for many years. read this