Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thanksgiving in August

To celebrate the end of summer term and to rejoice in friendship a final time before many part ways, a thanksgiving feast was deamed neccessary. My roommate and I provided Turkey, while others brought some side, some drink, some dessert.

THANKSGIVING TURKEY
- mix water, 1 cup kosher salt, .5 cup honey, 1/2 head garlic, 1 halved lemon (squeezed), fresh thyme, bay leaves, black pepper
- leave turkey overnight in cooled brine solution. Brine should just cover the T.

- remove T from brine, drain.
- rub with butter, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary.
- cover breasts and wings with foil to prevent from drying out.
- place on a turkey rack over a large baking pan. I don't own a turkey rack, but know its importance in preventing gooey, fatty skin. I put an 8x8 baking pan upside-down in a large turkey pan (my dad's idea).
- pour a cup or 2 of water in the baking pan and bake at 350 for 3-4 hours, checking a few times with a thermometer.

Mom says everytime you make a turkey, it feels like the first time. While I didn't mind nursing over the turkey for the afternoon, I realize that I will always have to be patient (unless I use a fryer).



The turkey was tasty, moist, juicey, and satisfying like a good, natural muscle relaxant should.
I look foreward to the next turkey.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This recipe is very intriguing; Greg and I plan on roasting a large turkey this weekend for our hall’s dinner and we’ll probably use your recipe, but with a few tweaks. Maybe we’ll add a few spices, off the top of my head paprika of course for color. If it were up to me, I would blaze the heat up, but everyone around here likes a mild, tame flavor.